Launched in 2015, Digital Brighton & Hove (DBH) is one of our flagship projects and a great example of our Switch approach in practice.

What started as a request from Brighton & Hove City Council for some research and evaluation into digital exclusion soon evolved into the development of a local digital support ecosystem based on cross-sector partnership work.

The project continues to provide innovative solutions for digitally excluded people, and works increasingly to support local organisations with their digital transformation journeys.

Latest News

Our full Evaluation and Impact Report 2017-2019 (pdf) is published!

“Digital Brighton and Hove has raised my awareness of the importance of utilising digital technology and not being scared to use it as a tool to improve my working practice and encourage others to do the same.”

– A Local partner

Stay up to date with DBH via Twitter, Facebook and our newsletter.

Four people smiling in front of banner with visible text "more online"
From right to left: Citizens Online Operations Director Richard Denyer-Bewick and our Digital Brighton & Hove team — Project Manager David Scurr and Community Digital Champions Josie Jeffery and Glenn Lloyd

“My sessions with Josie have given me more interests, more contact and taken away loneliness.”

Sylvie, Local Resident

Impact in numbers

As of May 2019, the project has:

  • Developed a partner network of 240+ organisations and 1000+ people engaged in digital inclusion
  • Recruited 436 Digital Champions
  • Supported at least 4,500 unique individuals
  • Delivered 6,950+ sessions of digital skills support
  • Created a bespoke signposting website

Why Brighton & Hove?

Known as a vibrant, rapidly-growing creative and digital tech hub, many see Brighton & Hove as a surprising choice for a Digital Inclusion project. While the Get Digital Heatmap states that the “likelihood of overall digital exclusion is low” as “84% of adults in Brighton and Hove [are estimated to] have all five Basic Digital Skills”, this still leaves 16% of the adult population without basic digital skills.

Our experience working on digital inclusion projects in over 50 areas across the UK tells us that there are pockets of digital exclusion everywhere — whether people lack connectivity, access, skills, confidence or the motivation to get online — and Brighton & Hove has proved to be no different.

Cropped audience showing at least 13 people listening and looking at a slide with data on Digital Champions and Universal Credit
Project Manager David Scurr presenting at a Digital Brighton & Hove digital inclusion network meeting in January 2018.

Case studies

Partner case studies:

Working with DBH has been a real success in our schemes. The number of people who have come to the digital workshops and become more digitally aware has exceeded our expectations […] As a result of the success with DBH we took the decision to introduce free WiFi to the communal lounges to encourage more of our residents to make the step of going online.
– Peter Huntbach, Services Manager, Seniors Housing, Brighton and Hove City Council

Case studies from service users:

Your involvement has really prompted me to try and get to grips with using digital better; I now feel really confident to admin the Facebook page and am now using it actively and in ways I wasn’t before!
– Georgia Leigh, Service Manager, YMCA Evolve

Case studies from Digital Champions:

The Digital Champion training was really useful to learn about the free online resources that are available and to think about how to engage people to get online.
– BHCC Revenues & Benefits Officer


Phase 1 (2015-2017): Big Lottery Fund (One Digital Programme), Brighton & Hove City Council, BT

Phase 2 (2017-2019): National Lottery Community Fund (One Digital Programme), Brighton & Hove City Council

Phase 3 (2019-2020): Brighton & Hove City Council, Community Works, Centre for Acceleration of Social Technology (CAST)

Contact us

David Scurr talking to two people and gesturing with his hands
DBH Project Manager David Scurr, hard at work

To find out more or get involved, email the DBH Project Manager, David Scurr: david.scurr@citizensonline.org.uk


In 2016 we produced a baseline analysis. Download the Baseline Analysis Executive Summary (pdf, 1.2Mb)

In 2018, we produced a “baseline review”, reviewing the 2016 Digital Inclusion Baseline Evaluation. Download the Baseline Review (pdf, 2Mb)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.